Old July 11th 05, 09:17 PM
Jeff Strickland

The most common malady that causes death wobble is incorrect caster angle.
Caster angle is an imaginary line that goes through the center of the upper
and lower ball joints, and the spindle that the tire actually revolves
around. This angle should be tilted a few degrees toward the rear for
stability. This helps hold the tires in a straight ahead attitude. If the
caster angle is not steep enough, then the tires can set up an oscilation
that you feel as Death Wobble.

A test for caster angle is to turn the steering wheel full lock, and let go
of it, then as you press the gas pedal to start going, the steering wheel
should come to center by itself, if it makes no effor to come to center,
then your Caster Angle is not correct. When you make a U-turn in the street,
you should simply give a flick to the steering wheel and let if slide in
your hands to straight ahead, if you have to physically crank the wheel
around to get to straight ahead, then you have issues with caster.

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU SHOULD LET THE STEERING WHEEL FLY AROUND
BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS AS A NORMAL COURSE OF DRIVING, I AM SUGGESTING THAT
THIS IS A TEST TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A MALFUNCTION. IF YOU ARE GOING TO LET THE
STEERING WHEEL GO, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT WHERE YOU WILL STRIKE ANY OTHER
OBJECTS OR PERSONS STANDING BY.

. com...