Old May 10th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default mower white smoke

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> > wrote:
>
>>I just started the mower and it runs on and off with a lot of smoke.
>>I did drain off the mower engine oil last winter and refilled that with
>>5w30 after checking up with this newsgroup.
>>My guess is that I put in some gas that has been around over 6 months.
>>What other option do I have?
>>The mower has been in use only for 3 years.

> White smoke? White? On an air-cooled engine?

Oil. Been there, done that. THICK white smoke that practically looks
liquid. Mosquitoes hated it. :-)

Assuming its not over filled with oil (check that first) I'll bet you
tipped the mower on its side to change the oil. I'll bet the oil
breather filled with oil, and the breather is connected to the air inlet
for emissions control.

Fire it up, let it run for a while, and I'll bet the smoke clears up in
a few minutes..