Old June 12th 05, 03:04 PM

On 2005-06-12 said:
>Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech

[snip]
>There are some applications where a platinum or iridium plug is
>absolutely necessary. My 1995 Acura Integra spec'ed a 1.3 mm gap
>and my guess is that a standard plug wouldn't last the 30K miles
>that they normal give for regular plugs. The platinum plug was
>spec'ed for 60K miles.

I had a motorcycle shop in the '70's. We tried fine wire plugs in a
variety of engines, and generally found no improvement in
performance, with one exception - my OSSA MAR Trials bike, a tractor-
on-two-wheels intended for an obstacle-course game requiring extreme
maneuverability, control, and ability to claw your way out of
difficult places. OSSA has a Motoplat electronic magneto whose spark
output is reversed polarity (positive-going pulse), more difficult to
fire. A fine-wire plug gives easier starting and stronger running on
this engine.

Possibly give some insight into what's going on here? Signal-to-
noise ratio in this thread has been awful...

Tom Willmon
near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered