Old June 12th 05, 12:54 PM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
RV > wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:00:18 GMT, aarcuda69062
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > RV > wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:52:48 -0400, "RoB"

> >> You either have a combustion chamber configuration or compression
> >> ratio suitable for platinum plugs, or you don't.
> >> If you dont then dont run plat plugs.
> >> If the car manufactuers says run plat plugs, then you do have the CC
> >> for it and should run them.

> >Absolute rubbish. Neither compression ratio or combustion
> >chamber design dictate whether platinum spark plugs should be
> >used.
> >Platinum plugs are strictly a maintenance sell.

> So we can assume you are not a qualified motor mechanic

Why not... ...apparently you're willing to make some very big
assumptions WRT platinum spark plugs and their purpose of use.

> >> If you need to run plat plugs it is for longer life requirments of the
> >> engine ignition maker, if you dont run them copper plugs will wear too
> >> quickly sending the ignition out of normal KV working range.

> >Actually, miss-firing occurs much before KV limits are reached,
> >miss-fires being a big no-no as far as emissions are concerned.

> So we can assume you are not a qualified motor mechanic

You can assume , but you'd be wrong.

> >> If you dont have the CC for plat plugs and run them, they will more
> >> likely partially fail, possibly poor idle, unless, you are running a
> >> higher compression ratio as in racing, then plat plugs are suitable,
> >> if not desirable.

> >Racing would be about the worst place to run a platinum spark
> >plug.

> So youre not a qualified motor mechanic and never raced anything but
> your mouth.

Wrong again.
Then again, no one in their right mind would use "racing" as the
basis for explaining something that relates to modern day
emissions durability requirements.

Tell ya what, I have every major spark plug manufacturers catalog
on the shelf, go ahead and cite the maker and catalog page number
where *they* recommend using a platinum spark plug in a racing or
any other heavy duty application.

> >> So its CC config (valve postion) or CR fuel that determines if you use
> >> plat plugs.

> >Malarky.

> So we can assume you are not a qualified motor mechanic

Got anything else?

> >> If you have the CC that is configured the clean the plug tips, then
> >> use them., if you have heaps of CR then the heat will keep them clean
> >> enough such as with racing.

> >Double malarky.

> So we can assume you are not a qualified motor mechanic

Yawn.

> >> If you dont have the CR for them, or dont have the CC for them to keep
> >> the plat plugs clean, they will most likely fouled or as we say for
> >> plat plugs, contaminated.

> Yes we motor mechanics like me who are qualified with 24 yrs working
> experience in the trade.

Oh. Guess my 35 trumps your 24.
ASE Certified Master w/L1, Chevrolet Certified Master,
GM Certified Master, Snap-On/Sun Electric Training Manager,
Senior referee for the State of Wisconsin IM-240 program.

> >> If you have the CC config for plat plugs they are good to go at all
> >> engine temps as in standard cars that use them, if you have big CR as
> >> in racing, then you may need to use coppers to warm the engine, then
> >> swap to plats, or you may have trouble starting and dirty a new set of
> >> plats starting it.

> >Who invents this crap?

> Engineers.

Hardly.

> >> Hope that helps.

> >I don't think it did...

> No surprise its no help to you.

I'll pass on your help. So should others.

If you care to explain the physics of your concocted beliefs,
have at it. Bear in mind, there are quite a few vehicle
applications that have and have had both platinum and
non-platinum spark plugs specified by the factory, only
difference is model year; same compression ratio, same combustion
chamber design, same valve placement.
So stop with the pseudo-technical bull**** already.