Old March 11th 05, 06:50 PM
Seth Graham

On 2005-03-11, Busman > wrote:
> Yup, this is why I no longer buy anything from VW. I think we need to get a
> letter writing camapign going where we all take pictures of our VWs with the
> logos blotted out (or maybe changed to Swastikas?) and send them to VW with
> a note telling them that you'll never buy anything until they end this
> stupid policy. Assinine.

It is stupid, but the way I understand it US law actually obligates
them to do this sort of thing.

If they don't defend it as a trademark, eventually they will lose the
right to claim it as theirs. While it would certainly be nice of them
to drop the name into the "public domain", the bug is one of the most
recognized symbols of the last century and probably still has some
real value attached to it.

From what I gather, trademark law and being nice don't mix very well.

Not saying this puts VWoA into a better light, heck I'd still be at
the front of the lynch mob. Just saying that their hand is being
forced. If there was some way for them to maintain the trademark and
ignore the classic VW community, I'd lay my money on them turning a
blind eye to all of us.