Old July 7th 05, 10:47 PM
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have been quoted some prices on some potential repairs to my 95 Jeep
> Wrangler, but being a non-technical owner (I just drive the thing, I
> don't know how it works) I have a hard time understanding these
> problems, guaging how important they really are, and guessing whether
> or not I am getting a decent price.
>
> I do trust this particular mechanic, and they are not presenting these
> problems to me as high-importance must-fix-for-safe-operation problems,
> but I would still appreciate it if some of you knowledgable jeep-people
> could offer your opinions on these:
>
> 1) What is a "Rear Main Seal". How important is a leak in one? Is it
> worth over $400 to fix?

If, and that's a big I-F, the rear main is really leaking, then it would
take about $400 to fix. The part - the rear main seal - is about $30, and
the oil pan gasket set is another $30 or so. That's $60 for gaskets and $340
for labor. That is a bit on the high side, but not hugely on the high side.
I don't think your rear main is the problem, the Valve Cover Gasket is the
more likely culprit.

> 2) What is the transmissions "Transfer Case Seal"? How important is a
> leak in it? Is it worth over $300 to fix?

This is a tough one. The tcase does have seals on the front and the back,
and if the seals are leaking then you need to have them replaced. It is a
job that most of us will tackle at home, but you said that you don't do any
service more complicated than filling the gas tank, so you will be subjected
to the going rate at the service center. If the repairs you listed up here,
this is the one that has the best chance of actually being needed. The Rear
Main is probably a valve cover gasket, and the injector cleaner is stuff
that you can pour into the gas tank yourself. I suggest you pass on the
injector service, have the shop take a close look at the valve cover --
particularly the portion near the firewall -- and get a second opinion on
the tcase.

> 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth approx
> $150 to have done?

This is a giant bottle of snake oil. You can buy a few small bottles of
snake oil at the auto parts store and pour one in with every fill up for the
next several weeks.

Snake Oil is a bit of a misnomer, but you can buy Fuel Injector Cleaner for
about 5 bucks per bottle, and throw one in with a fill up, and follow that
with the next fill up or two, then add one bottle with each fill up when you
do an oil change and this should keep the injectors clean and trouble free.
There is nothing with this service to warrant a service ticket for $150.