Old June 20th 05, 04:01 PM
ray

Robert C. Bosworth wrote:
> Could you give me a quick idea how I can do this, what I should look to be
> broken, and how it can be fixed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

if you measure the lift it'll give you an idea if the cam was wiped
(round lobe) or not.

Measure another intake or exhaust valve - some cams have different lift
for intake and exhaust, so you need to measure the same cam lobe on
another cylinder.

Could be a rocker stud - which may require the head to come off.
Could be a rocker arm problem - only needs the valve cover off.
Could be a bent pushrod - only needs the valve cover off.
Could be a collapsed lifter - you'll need to pull the intake for that.
Could be a wiped cam - timing cover and intake needs to come off.

If you're mechanically inclined, it can all be done, but I'd definitely
get a decent manual.

Does the boat have an oil pressure gauge? Was it reading normal? If
you've lost oil pressure then you may have more damage and one wiped cam
lobe is only the start... (ask me how I know.)

Ray