Old August 6th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Default Parking brake cable in 88 Jeep Comanche

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:32:15 UTC "Clint" > wrote:

> First off, just wanted to say thanks for the info in this group. I was
> recently able to fix my high idle speed when starting up my Comanche.
> Turned out to be the Idle Speed Stepper Motor which was (once I found the
> Torx drivers my wife had taken into the house) a 15 minute fix. I'm sure my
> neighbors appreciate your input too!
>
> Anywhoo, I posted in here awhile ago about adjusting the parking brake cable
> on my Comanche, because it wasn't holding on any real slope. I kinda just
> learned to live with it; set it in first, put on the parking brake, and life
> wasn't too bad.
>
> But now, the cable broke just at the pedal. I've got the new cable, but I
> can't for the life of me find out where it runs from the cab of the truck to
> the back wheels. Seems like it should be pretty simple, but no... Anyone
> got a diagram, or pictures? My FSM doesn't cover things like this,
> apparently.

Cable runs down behind the kick panel, along the driver side door
under the plastic panel and carpet. It then runs under the carpet
under the seat to a hole near the center of the rear of the cab. From
there, the cable and housing run to a bracket above and just forward
of the rear axle where it connects to a saddle yoke and the two wheels
cables.

When mine broke, I just pulled the end of the cable out, drilled out
the ferule and brazed it back on. Figutre it can break twice more
there before I run out of cable to work with - much faster than
replacing the whole cable assembly which requires pulling the seat,
carpet, and rear trim panel <g>.

--
Will Honea