Old November 9th 04, 02:15 PM
Bob Shuman

Actually ATF+4 (new synthetic formulation that is superior in all regards)
is the best choice, but ATF+3 (which is what it came with new) is also
perfectly acceptable as well. BTW, the ATF+3 (which is available at most
auto parts stores in vendor labeled product) costs about 1/3 to 1/4 of the
ATF+4 (which is still only available to my knowledge from Chrysler dealers).

Never, ever use anything but ATF+4 or ATF+3 (which, also btw, can be mixed).
You are absolutely correct that the lubeguard additive does not change
Dexron into Mopar type ATF. Also good that the trans shop recognized their
error and flushed the trans for you. This says that they are reputable, but
that said, they never should have made the error in the first place.

Regarding what you need to do now, if they did actually get all of the
Dexron out as they say, you should be good for 30K miles. If not, It
probably would not hurt to change the fluid again after 6-12K miles to make
sure it is still performing well. Lastly, you were not clear on if they
actually dropped the trans pan and changed the filter or just did the (all
too common) "power flush" using the trans cooler lines and a special
machine. I ask this since the pan really should be dropped and cleaned
properly since a lot of the clutch material ends up forming a "sludge like
gunk" in the bottom of the pan. Also, the magnet needs to be cleaned to
remove the small metal filings it has collected, and as mentioned earlier,
the filter should be replaced too. The only way to do this is to drop the
pan, which is a pretty simple job on that vehicle since all the pan bolts
are easily accessible. The biggest problem is the fact there is no drain
plug and that when you break the pan free, it causes a bit of a mess. Last
comment, if you do drop the pan, scrape off all the RTV gasket sealer
material and then purchase a multiple use (I think it can be re-used three
times) silicone metal gasket from the Chrysler dealer as this will make the
job easier next time around.

Good luck

Bob