Old April 6th 05, 04:46 AM
Arthur Russell

Default 2000 Passat GLX sedan (B5) Climatronic problem

Owned the car since new. I was never impressed by the automatic climate
control system, but it did the job. It does look nice too. However, as
time's gone by, it is starting to get pretty temperamental. I try to
defend the thing to my wife (she's the primary driver) but she's about
had it with the Climatronic.

The unit acts like the internal temp sensor is not working right, or
like a heat control valve is very sticky. Symptoms are that in general,
I have to overcompensate when adjusting the 'desired temp setting'. If I
just set it at 70F and forget about it, the car is never comfortable
(sometimes too hot, sometimes too cold)

On a long trip, it's more noticeable because even though the temp of the
inside of the car may have more or less settled down, I have to toggle
back and forth between like 72F, and 66F. If I leave it alone (like on
66F) then after awhile, the car will get too cold/too hot.

I generally adjust things like this in 1-degree increments and wait
awhile between adjustments. These days, I adjust and adjust and nothing
much happens until I get to around 72F, and then WHAM, quite a bit of heat.

Are there common failures, or commonly known issues?

Thanks,
Arthur