Old November 22nd 04, 01:29 AM
Robert Kuimelis

Default SOHC intake gasket replacement gone wrong - HELP!

I replaced the upper/lower intake gaskets on my '97 SOHC V6 Explorer
today since I had been getting the usual warmup problems on cold
mornings. The procedure had already been performed several years ago
along with the timing chain tensioners.

The gasket replacement seemed to go smoothly, but now the car won't
idle for more than 20 seconds. I triple-checked all vacuum and
electrical connections and the battery was disconnected while I
performed the work. I was very careful to get all the mating surfaces
clean and to tighten things evenly. The IAC valve is new and is
plugged in.

I installed the gaskets dry, since I couldn't find any info otherwise,
but I did notice that the upper gasket I removed had been packed with
white grease. The original lowers were coated with oil, which I
presume came from the intake.

Should I have coated any of the gaskets with grease, or do they get
installed dry? Any other suggestions??

Bob