Old July 13th 05, 05:33 AM
C. E. White

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> "C. E. White" wrote:

>> Hopefully you are not serious. How many people are on such tight
>> schedules
>> that waiting an extra 20 seconds at a light is going to ruin their life?

> How many people is the sitter holding up? Multiply that by every time he
> has
> to turn right. While I wouldn't ram a jerk who sat there for three
> minutes of
> NO cross traffic waiting for the light to go green, I'd sure honk at him.

Any light that doesn't change in less than 3 minutes with no opposing
traffic needs to be retimed.

I have been honked at while sitting at a light waiting to turn right when
there is a sign clearly stating "No Right On Red." Then there are the people
who honk at you when you are going straight at an intersection where they
want to turn right.

How many of these hypothetical people that the cautious person is holding up
by not aggressively turning right on red can't spare 10 or 15 seconds from
their not so busy day?

I suppose you never had an aggressive driver turn right on red and almost
hit you. Or turn right on red in front of you (failure to yield right of
way) and then drive slowly, holding you up?

> As a bicyclist, I see a lot of this. Adding a bicycle to the equation
> seems
> to freak them out even more. I used to turn around and motion them to go
> ahead while I was waiting to go straight, but that gets old after a while.

Sigh, I can't see you complaining about some little old lady not turning
right on red if you are out there clogging up the roads with your bike. And
don't give me the BS about how you outrun most traffic. Think about how many
people slow down in reaction to your presence when you are on the bike and
multiply that out. In the end you are just another impatient driver who is
unwilling to tolerate even the slightest impediment to your drive, while at
the same time not giving a damn how many people you cut off or slow down.
Just be honest, it is all about you.

> Right on red is legal in most states now. Anybody know where it still
> isn't?

According to
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outr...1995/TT086.htm :

"Since January 1, 1980, all 50 states and the District of Columbia and
Puerto Rico have had laws permitting right-turn-on-red unless a sign
prohibits the turn. As of January 1, 1994, 43 jurisdictions provided for
left-turn-on-red (LTOR) and nine did not. LTOR is permitted only at the
intersection of a one-way street with another one-way street."

At least ROR rules aren't significantly contributing to the death rate.
However, you might be interested in reading this reference since a large
portion of the ROR accidents involve bicycles and pedestrians.

Ed