Old April 2nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default Yet another set of Neon Questions :-)

Hello All,
First let me thank the guys in this group for the excellent feedback they
have given others in the past. In my time lurking in here I have learned
more than a thing or two from your posts. I believe that sharing of
information is the best use for Usenet.

My sister has a 98 Neon. 114k miles, 2 Door, manual transmission, SOHC
model. In general a real basic grocery getter.

Problem 1: The car has within the last week developed a LOT of play in the
steering. I'm talking almost 2 inches of wheel turn. We bought it to the
local Dodge Stealer and they claim there is nothing wrong with it! No F'ing
way! It's a sheer fight to keep the thing in one lane.

Problem 2: Th car has VEYR little power. Besides the fact that it's a 2.0L
Engine. I mean it has no pep, etc. I changed the plugs and wires. It helped
a little for a week but now it's back to the way it was. The car seems to be
either running VERY rich or burning a lot of oil, or both. Is there a PCV
Valve and or timing adjustment on this thing? We did a leakdown test and the
cylinders / rings don't seem to be bad. Dirty valves maybe?

Problem 3: The gauges randomly decide to come on and go off. I've read in
boards. I pulled the cluster and redid as many solder joints as I could
find, and still no change. Ever time she hits a large bump they go off. I'm
guessing it's a loose connector somewhere?

I've been telling her it's time to replace it; however, she's a college
student and just can't afford it. (Hence why I'm working on it and not a
'real' mechanic.)

Any useful input would be appreciated.