Old February 3rd 05, 11:53 PM
Roger Maxwell

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, jetsguy wrote:
>
>> I have the opportunity of ordering either a 2005 Chev Impala or a 2005
>> Pontiac Grand Prix as a company vehicle. Done some reading and appears
>> they both have similar performance ratings with main differences being
>> Impala is more roomy/practicle but is somewhat of (as my wife says) an
>> old fart kind of car. The Grand Prix on the other hand is sportier

> If the company-car discount offsets the costs and inconveniences of owning
> a GM vehicle, then proceed. Just be sure to factor in ALL the costs, not
> just the upfront ones.
>
> There is no difference in quality or reliability between a Pontiac, a
> Buick, a Chevrolet, etc. They all use corporate parts and systems. The

There are similarities in powertrains and chassis. There are fewer
similarities in interior controls/materials and body panels. Consider the
material quality, control feel, and body panel alignment between a Chevrolet
Cobalt and a Buick LaCrosse. Quite a difference despite both being
manufactured by GM.

> last time GM's different-brand cars were truly different at more than a
> superficial, cosmetic level was twenty-nine years ago.
>
> The current crop of new offerings is yet another fleet of McRent-a-cars
> from GM. More-or-less adequate, but abjectly mediocre by virtually every
> measure. (And getting worse: the 3.4 litre V6 engine has been an
> unreliable turd for years, and now it's being manufactured in
> *China* for use in the Equinox.)
>
> GM has some very talented and dedicated engineers in their employ, but
> their best work gets beancountered, focus-grouped and committee-thinked to
> death and therefore never sees the light of day; GM's products
> occasionally show a dim spark of innovation but quickly and consistently
> regress to a mediocre average. You can maintain them and pray and
> everything, but they'll remain a mediocre average at best. A perfect
> example is the GM 5-cylinder minivans (e.g. Trailblazer). The engine
> itself is a beautiful piece of work, but the vehicle in which it's
> installed is fall-apart garbage.

The engine I believe you are referring to is the 4.2L Inline-6. It's not a
5-cylinder. GM currently only has one 5-cylinder engine (based on the 4.2L
I-6) which is used in their midsize Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon
trucks. The Trailblazer is a sport utility vehicle, not a minivan.

> The cops up here use the Impala and it seems to hold up OK for them.

Concerning the original poster's question, I would recommend the Grand Prix
as a personal vehicle, but the Impala as a more practical company vehicle.
However, I would suggest ordering the Impala with the 3.8L V-6 instead of
the base 3.4L V-6. There is a noticeable improvement in power, plus the 3.8
has proven more reliable (despite a period of intake manifold leaks related
to the plastic intake) overall than the 3.4 (very good chance of intake
manifold gasket failure). There is indeed more interior room in the Impala,
particularly in the rear seating and trunk areas.

~Roger