Old October 9th 04, 02:48 PM
Anthony

"Richard Ehrenberg" > wrote in
:

> Actually, I know those engineers. Trust me, they didn't want a "crash"
> motor any more than you do. They were forced into it by the EPA. Those
> neat little valve clearance notches in the pistons proved to be a
> "reservoir" of hydrocarbons that are 'hidden' and won't burn. I.e.,
> smog. They had to go.
>
> But they tried their best. There IS enough clearance so that a belt
> that has jumped two teeth will NOT cause a crash. And even a one-tooth
> jump turns on the Czech engine light so you know something's amiss.
> And they REALLY broke their stones to get 100K belt life on the DOHC.
>
> I just did a belt on mine - not a hard job at all. But don't even
> think about it without the FSM and a torque wrench handy! I suggest
> replacing the hydraulic tensioner also, and carefully checking
> (feeling for roughness) the bearings in the tensioner and idler
> pullies.
>
> Rick Ehrenberg

Rick,
The interference of the valves/pistons is not the concern. I fully
understand the impact of valve reliefs on emissions. My issue is with
running ancillary equipment from the timing belt. I realize it makes
packaging nice and compact, reduces parts in the engine assembly, etc,
but the combination of failure prone ancillary equipment in the timing
structure and an interference engine do not go well together.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email