Old July 13th 05, 06:38 AM
Gene Poon

Larry Crites wrote:

> I don't know what they were like, but I know they had a lot of
> trouble with the ones put in the Olds back in '78. There was one that
> lived in our shop more than it did with it's owner.
>
> Larry Behold Beware believe

The owner should have been happy. That was the late 70s/early 80s
Olds/Cadillac diesel based on the Oldsmobile 350 CID gas engine. The
only time it didn't puke filthy black engine oil all over the owner's
driveway or garage was when it was at SOMEONE ELSE'S shop. The oil
spots in our driveway outlasted the 79 Cadillac Eldorado that caused
them. Unfortunately ours never spent a lot of time at someone else's
shop, because I was able to keep it running. A water separator ahead of
the fuel filter helped, but mainly what it took was changing that big
fuel filter at 5,000 mile intervals instead of the factory-recommended
24,000. When it started to run badly, I'd go and plunk down the cash
for a new filter, and it would run just fine again (or as well as it
ever did...that car was S-L-O-W!)