Old May 20th 05, 06:23 PM
DLGlos

On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:47:06 -0400, "dogwud" >
wrote:

>That's what I hear when I take a gradual turn (either direction) at around
>30-40 mph in my 2003 Passat 4motion. It is definitely coming from the
>front wheel area and you can feel it through the floor. Someone said it
>could be dirt in the universal joint. Any ideas?

It could also be a bad tire. A buddy recently had an internal belt
delamination in one of his tires and it caused a similar noise and a
strong vibration. You could do a tire rotation and see if the noise
moves with the tire.

OTOH, a bad CV could have a noise like that, although it would be a
bit surprising in such a new car. The joints are protected by rubber
boots, which do fail with age. Only then is the joint exposed to the
elements to pick up water and grit.

For two data points: I have a 94 Passat with original CVs and boots in
fine shape after 98k miles, a friend with a 99 Passat had to have a
boot changed on one axle recently.

Without additional info, and seeing how the car is rather young, I
would start with the tire hypothesis first.

DLG