Old April 25th 05, 05:26 PM
Steve

Frank wrote:

> I leave the lights on all the time on my car. They go off when I kill
> the ignition and open the door; they go back on when I start the car.
> I feel it increases my conspicuity, and it hurts nothing. I'm happy.
> I do about 30,000 miles a year in that car.
>
> My wife's car, which I drive rarely, does not handle the lights like
> that, so I've been known to drive in the rain without lights. I
> usually remember, but not every single time. Steve will say that my
> brain is separated from reality at the time, and that might be true,
> but habit is a powerful force.
>
> Yet, some people run around with this brain-reality separation a large
> percentage of the time. I also agree with HLS -- many people just
> don't give a damn. Would switching the lights on with the wipers make
> people stupid? I don't think they would any more than automatic
> tranmissions, anti-lock brakes, safety glass, air bags, seat belts, or
> any of the other built-in safety or convenience devices already in use.
> What they would do is ensure that the lights go on with the wipers
> whether the A-hole behind the wheel wants them on or not.

So if the A-hole behind the wheel uses Rain-X and never turns on his
wipers, then what? What about when a driver turns his wipers on to clean
the windshield, but (oops!) had his high-beams on last night and so now
he blinds everyone driving toward him in total blissful ignorance?

Increasing automation only aggravates the problem, and no I don't see it
as the same as autmoatic transmissions or (for heaven's sake!) safety
glass at all. None of the things you mentioned relieve the driver of the
basic requirements of operating the vehicle properly.