Old December 10th 04, 10:33 PM
Nate Nagel

> Hi All
> I just got a 75 fuel injected non-super bug. It has been sitting since
> 91 (that's the date on the last inspection sticker).
>
> Before I try anything, I'd like to make sure that it doesn't suck
> sludge through the injectors so cleaning the tank is probably a good
> idea, right?
> Is just emptying the tank enough? Or is there a way for me to take the
> tank out and clean it? (It must have rust and gunk build up all over,
> right?)
>
> Is that is possible, how do I do this? I am totally new to the
> wonderful world of bugs, so appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
> Remco
>
> (btw, sorry if somehow this gets posted twice -- using the new google
> interface and it does weird things sometime).

I had an "issue" with the gas tank on my '62 Stude which sat in a shed
for some 30 years... what I did was to remove the tank (actually it was
out when I bought the car) made a little plate to seal the sender hole,
then dumped a can of Drano crystals in it and filled it with hot water.
Then rattled a length of chain around in there through the filler neck
after letting it sit a while (this knocks off the rust you've just
loosened.) Lather, rinse, repeat. the reason for the block off plate
was so that when I did the "repeat" but I could turn the tank upside
down to get the rust off. Then I did a rinse with some muriatic acid
(do I need to say, do this outside?) and repeated the chain bit after
rinsing it out again. Finally I put a little phosphoric acid based
metal prep solution in and swished it all around so that all the
surfaces got rinsed with it (it not only removes rust but leaves a
little protective coating behind) and last but not least rinsed it out a
couple times the same way with gasoline to make sure none of the
nastiness I'd used found its way back into the fuel system.

Been working fine for me so far... I did install a little fuel filter
before the carb so anything I missed gets caught...

If you follow the above procedure and find that your tank is less than
perfectly sealed, at least you've done most of the prep work for using a
gas tank sealer coating...

good luck,

nate

--