Old December 20th 04, 01:49 PM
Sportster4Eva

Nate Nagel wrote:

> hey Daniel, woud you be interested in helping me with a little matter
> that's been bothering me? (see .sig for email unmunging directions) Let
> me know what's a good email address to keep in touch
>
> what this is about, for Daniel or anyone else that's interested, I'm
> trying to draft a complaint to WMATA (DC transit authority) about the
> widespread practice of Metro buses driving around with their high beams
> on 24/7. I have no confirmation yet but the practice seems to be so
> universal that I can only assume that it's a misguided "safety"
> initiative. Bothersome at all hours and truly dangerous in the late
> evening. I'd like to have some cites to throw back as to why this is
> dangerous (other than the fact that it's blatantly obvious) when I get
> the inevitable response that it is indeed a safety policy.
>
> nate

Another thought about the glare..
The brightness is compunded by the height of the lights on big vehicles.
Regular cars headlights are a couple of feet off the ground, but buses
and tractor trailers are right up there at eye level when you're in a
car. If you have a pitted windshield from lots of highway miles, it
compunds the glare with that aura you see around the lights. I've never
had an accident because of it, but it is a scary thing to be blinded by
oncoming lights.

--
Paul
'91 XL1200