Old June 17th 05, 05:01 PM
ray

Mark A wrote:
>>I realize there are different parameters but within a type and brand,
>>I'd think a tire rated for 80,000 miles would cost more than one rated
>>for 40,000 miles, is that not so?

> Actually, not necessarily true. Many very high performance tires do not have
> particularly good tread ratings. Generally the higher the speed rating
> (tires are have speed ratings such as S, H, V, etc) the less the tread life.
> That is because a tires ability to run at higher speeds depends partly on
> using a softer tread compound that wears faster. This is very evident in
> motor sports racing, where a very soft, but very high performance tire will
> need to be changed several times during a 500 mile race.

Actually, higher speed rated tires are usually HARDER to withstand the
heat generated by sustained high speeds. Race tires are a totally
different breed... my drag radials aren't speed rated at all and have a
treadwear rating of ZERO and they're technially street legal... but I
don't bother because they're so "squishy" I don't feel comfortable
driving the car on the street... but they have a ton more grip once
heated up versus any regular street tire.

Oh, but the hi-perf tires have short tread blocks for less squirm, so
they still don't last 40,000 miles ... mine only made it 20,000 miles...

All of which means you can't answer the OP in absolutes. Tires are an
absolute bear to comparison shop... because it's all about the
tradeoff... dry traction, wet traction, tread life, even noise and ease
of balancing from brand to brand....

All I'll say is this: I've decided that BF Goodrich tires for me are
the way to go for my good cars. It's worth the extra $20 per tire.

Ray