Old May 24th 05, 11:59 PM
ameijers

> wrote in message
> I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy a AAA membership for the roadside
> assistance. I have a Citibank Mastercard, and they have something called
> "MC ASSIST", which provides just about the same services that AAA

offers --
> jump-starts, towing, gas delivery, and tire changes (not sure if they

offer
> locksmithing).
>
> So has anyone ever relied on their credit card's roadside assistance? Is

it
> as good as AAA's? If my credit card's is as good as AAA's, then there's

no
> reason for me to pay an extra $60/year for a AAA membership.

Keep your car in good shape, carry a little cash+plastic, maybe a cell phone
(even a 'dead' one from a garage sale) to call 911, and who needs an auto
club? It's like an extended warranty on an appliance- what are the odds you
will ever use it enough to counter the upfront cost? If you can't see
civilization from where you break down, 911 will always (albeit grudgingly)
log a 'motorist assist' call and send a tow truck. If you only drive
locally, keep a 3x5 in the glove box with the local garage and tow numbers.
Just IMHO, of course, YMMV. The other auto club perks like triptiks,
discount tickets, etc., may make it make sense for you. Personally, I'd
rather put the money to keeping the car up to snuff, and replacing it when
needed.

aem sends...