Old July 22nd 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

Default 1996 bmw 318is upgrading rims question

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>I have a bmw 318 is and I currently have the stock 15" rims on it, I
>would like to get some 17" factory rims off a 2001 3 series on it and
>was wondering if I could just do it staright or would i need to lift it
>at all....If anyone has done this any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: you won't be changing the diameter of the wheel, just
the amount of rubber (less) and metal (more). You have several options
in tire size there is no single right answer. Just make sure the
new size is withing 2% of the number of revolutions per mile

Here's a handy dandy calculator I wrote:

http://mbz.org/sys/tires

One thing, if it were me I'd go to 16" not 17". There is
a penalty in terms of stiffness of ride and comfort and
wide-ass 16" are enough to give you that HOLY **** slot
car handling. 17's in my opinion aren't THAT much better
and he ride is pretty severe. But that's a subjective
thing and YMMV.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net