Old January 8th 05, 09:50 AM
Splashlube

>Subject: used car parts, from england to usa? duties? customs? currency
>conversions?
>From: dave
>Date: 07/01/2005 21:35 GMT Standard Time
>
>I'm considering buying two (specialty) =used= car carburetors from
>england; the deal's 'all agreed to' but awaits my payment. meanwhile I
>have no CLUE where to investigate wether or not 'duty' or 'customs'
>applies to the transaction (google searches are no help, either), and,
>if duty/customs DOES apply, who pays it at what end, when?

Morning Toolbox

Saw your post on the newsgroup and I can only tell you what has happened from
personal experience. I'm in the UK and often sell things on Ebay and buy
things from all over the world.

When I send car parts over your side of the pond I put on the Customs
declaration that they are vintage second hand recycled car parts. 95% of the
time they pass through american customs without any hassle and don't attract
any duty. If there is any duty payable it's done your end. You should get
notification by letter of any amount and you have to pay before or at the point
of delivery.

The cheapest way for them to be sent is Parcel Service Surface Mail. Should
take 5 to 6 weeks and far cheaper for heavy stuff.

Of course it all depends on the Customs Officer that deals with your parcel and
all you can do is suck it and see.

Oh and at today rate 1 british pound is worth about 1.90 dollars. XE.com do
currency conversions but don't forget that the person you are sending money to
has to pay commission to convert to their currency so you usually have to add
2% to the total.

Hope that helps

Regards

Andy