Old July 22nd 05, 12:44 AM
Billy Ray

If the mounting brackets and tabs are still sound you can take it over to
your corner welding shop and have Elmer just weld another 3/16 inch (or
heavier) piece of traction plate over the existing one.

If the mounts have advanced body cancer Elmer can use the old one as a
template for repair.

Before you re-install it give it a good coating of rust inhibiting paint.
The best source for advise and materials is a real paint shop, not the paint
department at Home Depot or Lowes. Tell the guy what you intend the paint
for and he will get you the right stuff and you might be surprised how
affordable it is.

I went to Cincinnati Color yesterday to ask about painting aluminum running
boards and got advise from the "new" guy. (He has only been there 12 years)
He told me how to do the preparation and the materials would be $6.95/quart
and they would custom tint the color to match the body cladding or the body
paint at no charge.

FWIW they recommended Kentucky Coatings Rust-Nox II (direct to metal)