Old July 6th 05, 03:51 AM
Rob

Huw wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>>The just goes to show how closely cars are rated today for build
>>quality by their owners. The best has a rate 1.39 defects per
>>car and the worst 3.97 and the average of only 2.37. If one
>>subscribes to J D Powers service they would see the failures are
>>mostly minor in nature, such as squeaks and rattles
>>
>>Looks much different when presented as a list than if shown, as
>>it should be, as a percentage of failures. The best as just over
>>98% trouble free, the average just under 98% trouble free, and
>>the worst as just under 97% trouble free. That is what we see
>>in our business, as well.
>>
>>All manufactures are building good vehicles today that will
>>easily run to 200K, trouble free, if given the proper preventive
>>maintenance. The only real difference among them is style and
>>price. Your chance of getting a good one are basically 8 out of
>>9. The change of getting one not up to snuff is minor 1% to 2%
>>since they all have a failure rate of at least 1%, that is why
>>they all offer a warranty.
>>
>>Why some will spend 20% or 30% more to buy a comparable vehicle,
>>of a certain brand over another, just in the hope that the ONE
>>they get is not one of the 1% to 2%, always seemed like extremely
>>poor gambling odds to me
>>

> That's the way I see it too. I did not consider it much of a gamble to buy a
> new Range Rover and I have been rewarded by the most reliable vehicle over
> the first eight months that I have ever owned. In fact it is way ahead of my
> Toyota Land Cruiser over the same period which had a [difficult to sort]
> wheel alignment problem and needed a new fog lamp and drivers seatbelt in
> the same timeframe.
>
> Huw

200k are u nuts .... motors have such short pistons in them here in the
cold ares like canada the motor suffer from piston slap (slight knocking
noise untill motor warms up) as soon as 60000 miles.... my dads 200
intrepid with 2.7 mits engine broke a timing chain guide ! 110000
kilometers thank god the chain stayed on or it would have been more than
the 600 dollars of parts that i installed..... just worked on a 1991
buick today frame is about to fall apart from rust just in front of the
rear trailing arms to the rear suspension. dont tell me they build cars
better.... just imagine how long a mid 70's motor would have lasted if
they all had the advantages of modern fuel infection.