Old December 18th 04, 06:05 PM

Cory Dunkle wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > A 19-year-old commenting on youth, immaturity, and "the way things

are"
> > is always good for a little humor.
> >
> > The real world will teach you all sorts of things. Just wait -

you'll
> > see.

> You are a great example of ignorance.

The more you write, the more hilarious your comments become.

> You are either so full of yourself, or
> think so lowly of youth, or whatever the case may be, that you

> anything a young person says that you don't agree with primarily on

the
> reason they they are young and therefore don't know much, or 'can't

know as
> much as I do'.

Again, Cory, you are dead wrong. I dismiss what *you* say. Not the
general "youth." And not because you are young, but because you seem
to think you know something, when in reality, you haven't the slightest
clue.

Let me see if I have this straight:

You've been to three colleges, and lived at none. I will also assume
you haven't worked at any of them either.

You have, at most, 3 years of exposure to any kind of college
atmosphere (I think 3 years is a generous time span.)

Just on that basis alone, you don't have even a quarter of the
experience I do in the matter. Simple math. Funny thing about
"general youth" is that, in large part, they dismiss experience as
valuable.

Pretty much, I have the idea that you are much like a person who claims
after visiting Canada from the U.S. "I'm a world traveller!"

> It's really quite pathetic. You are in that group of people
> which the world would be a much better, more friendly place without.

The world ain't friendly, Cory. It's rough and cutthroat. The sooner
you get that, the more happy you'll be. The world doesn't give a damn
about you, your problems or your triumphs. Even if you were to become
famous, folks would soon turn on you and want to give you some
comeuppance.

You're young, and it shows. I'm not sure why you believe that I think
that's bad - we were all young once. We all made mistakes, mostly we
learned from them and came away wiser, more measured, and thought a
little more the next time. But you don't get older without being young
first.

The simple fact is that you are no more mature and serious than most of
your age peers. I'd say, from the folks I have met, that you are on
par. And yes, there are the kids who are wild and crazy and indulge in
a lifestyle of MFFY. Just like there are adults who do the very same
thing.

That 90% junk is just that - junk. If it were true, folks wouldn't
graduate from college. And grad rates are much higher than 10%, just
about everywhere.

For the record, my parents didn't pay for my school. I did. Of
course, it was mostly after the fact, through loans. And I'll tell
you, paying off tens of thousands of dollars on entry-level salary
(even in my field) means a lot of ramen and mac and cheese, no fast
cars ($200 '75 VW Rabbit) and certainly no cable TV. Those 8 years
after I graduated were quite lean.

Most of the students I know right now are very hard-working, serious
folks. Some are funded by their folks (and seem to work harder to live
up to expectations,) and some do it like I did - 40 hours a week of
minimum wage at two jobs, full class load, loans - and they still find
time to have some fun.

Oh, well - you'll believe whatever you want to believe, and I sure as
heck am not going to change your mind. Teenagers are some of the most
stubborn about knowing everything about everything. That's why it's a
standard joke about teens.

HAND,

E.P.