Old June 17th 05, 02:20 PM
Daniel

If your question arises from the Yokohama tire site linked yesterday,
recommended them for excellent value, good quality.
They have a new tire designed specifically for the Camry :
http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireFeatures.asp?TireID=80
(you can see their application graph on the pdf spec. page)
Tread pattern and compounds affect the tire designation.
Touring tires typically give many of the qualities you've listed:
long wear, comfortable, safe, quiet ride.
Performance tires have softer rubber compounds to stick better (and
wear more quickly) plus a more aggresssive tread design that can be
noisier.
Touring tires often have a continuous center rib (longer wear, quiet)
though now performance tires are adopting this also. Touring tires
typically have tread blocks oriented closer to a straight line parallel
to the direction of rotation - generally speaking, plus smaller spaces
between blocks.
The AVID touring I've been using have plenty of grip, far as I can
tell, plus an 80,000 mile warranty. If you see an 80,000 mile warranty,
that's a touring tire. Treadwear rating over 600 is a touring tire.
Lower treadwear numberrs are performance tires. Also my heat rating is
B, whereas performance tires would be A, but my tires are cool even
after driving highway on hot days. Also, I have speed rating S (112 mph
continuous), performance tires can go to Z (150 mph).