Old February 24th 05, 07:23 PM
WayneC

tony kujawa wrote:
> There is a red '71 by me for sale and I'd like to know if it is worth
> looking at or not. I have not seen it yet, but am going tomorrow or
> Saturday. 350 (Not original) 4 speed, A/C, PW, $8500. I had a 68 about 6
> years ago that was a decent driver that I bought and sold for $6500. I'm
> sure that very car would fetch 10K today. All that being said, if this 71
> is in the same shape as my 68 was, I'm jumping on it. I guess I just need
> some confirmation of what you all think. I'm just looking for a decent
> driver, no desire to restore. I knew my 68 pretty well and the inherent
> problems they had so I'm not going into this blind, I was just wondering if
> there are any frame issues I should look for. i.e. weak spots where it may
> rust out etc.
>
> Thanks, Tony

Should be well worth the money if it's a decent driver (even more so if
it's a convertible).

Check for an even fit of the doors to the body, large differences in
spacing along the front and rear vertical edges from the top to the
bottom can be a harbinger of frame rust or collision damage.

Look for serious rust in the area where the trailing arms bolt to the
frame (forward of the rear wheel kickups) and for signs of rust in the
metal birdcage around the front of the door openings (especially inside
the hinge pockets, and where the pillar meets the doorsill) and around
the windshield (you may have to lift carpet and peer up under the dash
with a flashlight, etc). Frame rust can be repaired (or the frame
replaced), but that's very expensive; serious birdcage rust is
definitely a deal-breaker.

Look for signs of body damage on the underside of panels and around
headlights and wheel wells, and for telltale serious stress cracking in
the paint, because repair and repaint will cost more than you pay for
the car. Window relacement isn't cheap, either.