Old November 28th 04, 01:12 PM

Rochester wrote:
> My car was just broken into in a hotel lot. They destroyed the driver's side
> key-lock. I can actually unlock my car with my finger now! Is that OK? The
> effort the thieves used seems to be very limited, and the alarm did not go
> off either. I cannot go anywhere with the car like this now.
> Anyone with similar experience? What to do? There is one key for ignition,
> driver side and back door. How to get the same lock? Or have a different
> key?
> Please advice.

You can have a replacement keylock 'rekeyed' to your original by any
decent locksmith and/or the dealer (who might just farm it out anyway).

To avoid this type of problem in the older cars people would install
Armour Door plates, a hard metal shield that fits under the door handle
around the lock portion. I am not aware of the need nor solution for
such a thing in the later models, but it appears it is still a problem.

hth,
TBerk