Old August 15th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
News Reader

Default Audi A4 timing belt replacement - letter from dealer

"gmickflyer" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have an 02 reg Audi A4 Quattro 1.9 diesel. I recently received a
> letter from my dealer stating that Audi are changing the recommended
> timing belt replacement from 60,000 miles to 4 years (for diesels) for
> new Audis and therefore I should get my timing belt replacement done
> now , and basically they won't be responsible for the consequences if I
> don't. My car has only done 44,000 so this is obviously an additional
> expense I hadn't accounted for. Has anyone else had a similar letter.
> Should I replace the belt now, wait till the next service (probably
> about 6 months/6000mls) or leave it until 60000 as stated in the
> maintenance schedule for my car? It seems a bit harsh to indicate that
> a part probably won't last as long as designed and nottake
> responsibility for the cost of early replacment. Is this really what
> Audi are saying or is my dealer just trying it on?

I also received a similar Letter from the local dealer saying that Audi UK
recommend changing the timing belt on all Audi's at 4 years. It is not clear
if the belt should be changed earlier if the mileage warrants it. This
letter should have been sent out by Audi UK if they had done things
properly. My belt was changed earlier than the 80,000 miles recommended for
the 2.5 TDI as they had the engine in bits to replace the injection pump!!!.
But it was over 5 years old by then.

Peter

For independent Help with all matters Pipex
www.pipexsanctuary.co.uk/