Old April 4th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 95 dodge caravan - tcc fails to release

I have a 95 Dodge Caravan that's starting to have transmission problems.
Occasionally the torque converter clutch doesn't release, even in first
gear. I have to put it in neutral to keep from stalling the engine. I have
read that the same solenoid that controls the lockup also controls first
gear - perhaps because the 2 functions are not required to occur at the same
time- which leads me to believe that the tcc does not receive whatever
pressure/signal it uses to do the lockup when the trans is in first gear.
So why might this happen? Could it be a valve that is sticking?