Old July 23rd 05, 12:21 AM
Hootowl

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:09:02 -0700, > wrote:

>sounds like a tire is unbalanced.
>make sure a weight has not fallen off.
>old john
>

>Hello, mr!
>You wrote on 21 Jul 2005 08:20:56 -0700:
>
> mr> Before this problem appeared in its current obvious fashion, I may have
> mr> noticed some sort of *slight* vibration in this ~55mph range.
>
> mr> 3 months ago, at inspection time, I needed one new tire. I got the
> mr> same tire as I already have on - Goodyear Wrangler GSAs. They balanced
> mr> and mounted the tire. They also put on new ball joints all around and
> mr> did an alignment. It was a pricy visit.
>
> mr> For the next week, everything was *perfect*. Then I was on a weekend
> mr> drive and all of a sudden it felt like the jeep was falling apart. I
> mr> could feel the vibration through my feet and through my seat, but it
> mr> was very strong through the steering wheel. Braking to slow down out
> mr> of the offending speed, or accelerating to speed up out off it cures
> mr> everything.
>
> mr> So, yes, I've been driving like this for a while, now, trying to take
> mr> care not to spend time in the vibrating range. It's odd, the problem
> mr> only seems to occur if I stay in that range, not if I speed up steadily
> mr> through it or slow down steadily through it.
>
> mr> My inaction is from lack of trust in the mechanic who did the ball
> mr> joint work and the lack of funds I'll need in case it's a huge job.
>
> mr> Now, my reading has led me to have hopes that it's simply a matter of a
> mr> possible weight fallen off a tire or a wheel out of balance for another
> mr> reason. Is there anything else I should consider? I need to get this
> mr> taken care of.

A tire that is separating can do that, too. And some brands of off
road tires begin vibrating with increasing intensity as they wear. It
can start at as little as 5,000 miles with some brands. A Google
search on your tire will turn up magazine tests and forums of messages
posted by individual users. Such a search kept me from buying Dunlop
Mud Rovers, for example. But I don't recall seeing any negative
comments on Wranglers. But I've had similar problems to yours, in
that same speed range, and only new tires fixed it completely.
Re-balancing all four tires has sometimes helped for a short time. If
it does, slight tread separation of a least one tire is the culprit.
It's a common problem with all terrain tires run on the road. Also,
spin your tires on a balancing machine and make sure they're all still
round (that was one of the major problem with Mud Rovers). At the
same time, also look closely for a slightly warped rim.

Dan