Old July 9th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Brasso

Default engine temp.

I am assuming you are referring to the rubber insulation that protects the
the wire from chafing on the dizzy body. My guess is that the heat source
is not the engine, but the wire itself. Remove the dist cap. Rotate the
engine until the points close. Turn on the ignition and check the wire. Is
it getting hot? If it is getting unreasonably hot, chances are your ballast
resitor/coil is the culprit. Changed coils lately?

lkaboutautos.com...