Old December 8th 04, 07:13 PM

John Edwards wrote:
> I have a Honda Accord 98. Recently I have got the Check Engine Light
> on. I read the Haynes manual and tried to get the error code from the
> PCM which turned out to be "80" (using the blinking light method in

the
> dashboard). I interpreted the code (from the Haynes Manual) as a leak
> near the fuel Canister. I thought that the problem occured with not
> tightening the fuel cap, so went ahead and tightened it real good.
> After a couple of days, the light went off. Again after a couple of
> more days (with me not touching the fuel cap), the light came back on
> again. So now the problem is it comes and goes from time to time with
> the same error code. Any ideas on what could be the issue ? Do you
> think that I have a faulty fuel gas Cap ? Or am I interpreting the
> error code totally wrong ?
>
> PS: It is Winter here and the temperature are around 50 deg
> farenheit...
>
> Regards,
> John Edwards
> Virginia, US.

I had the same problem with my 98 Accord V-6. It was an intermittent
control module located near the charcoal cannister. Some kind of
solenoid, a black cube about 2" on a side. Had some hoses connected to
it. Cost me $40 for the part. Parts guy told me they go often,
because of their exposed location (under rear passenger, driver's
side). You can probably replace this yourself, but you'll have to
remove the charcoal cannister to get at it. I can get you the exact
name of this part from my Honda manual tomorrow, maybe even the part
number from the sales slip.