Old December 8th 04, 06:43 PM
motsco_ _

Abeness wrote:
> 94 Civic EX. I find it quite annoying that the alert that sounds when
> the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open apparently
> can't be turned off easily. There are plenty of times that I want the
> door open while listening to the radio, and that infernal beep either
> drives me bananas or, more likely, I'm forced to shut the door.
>
> So, I'm trying to figure out how best to deal with this. On the one
> hand, I could simply disconnect the piezo buzzer, but that would
> completely disable the key alert, which can be useful in avoiding
> locking the keys in the car, so perhaps I could install a switch in the
> line to disable it when I want. If I wanted a fail-safe means of
> ensuring that it went back on when the ignition went to position 0, I
> suppose I could rig up a relay mechanism, but that would burn the
> battery up faster and would probably be overkill... ;-)
>
> Where the heck is the buzzer? And anyone know of a source for very low
> power relays, in case I go nuts?

Alarm companies use delay timers for things like panic exits and they
are fairly low-current. Install a touch button that's a one-shot into
the timer, and set it for five or twenty minutes (or whatever) to jump
out the door contact. Power the timer off the ACC so you don't drain the
battery when key is out.

'Curly'