Old May 2nd 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default subaru 2.2 into 71 bus home made adaptor plate?

wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> I have a subaru 2.2 engine.. what a nightmarmachinedum lines and
> solenoids... I removed the carb, plugged all the vacuum lines..
> cast an adaptor to bolt to the intake manifold, put my solex
> on it.. It's a very small engine once you get all the crap off it.
>
> Has anyone here ever made an adaptor plate themselves
> (to go between engine and tranny), or know of anyone who
> has? Kennedy Engineering sells them, but they're a bit
> pricey.
>
> Rich

I bet you have an EA82 some were carbed and it had the mass of vacuum lines
on a thin tall intake. The suggested replacement carb is a Weber
progressive for this engine. This 1.8 motor is much smaller than a 2.2. I
would fab a new intake for it like the airplane guys do. The link below is
for EFI, but a carb cold be easily used instead of a TB With the same
basic design on your carbed engine. Obviously you would not need a plenum.

I have the stuff from a 92 Legacy I stripped but haven't don conversion yet.
Yes some have machined their own parts. I had a link once to a guys
project, but have lost it. You may find it by serching on the net.

Yahoo has a very good Suby Vanagon conversion group. I would go there for
help.