Old February 6th 05, 06:54 PM
tricky

OK - spent a few hours stripping it down.
Washed everything in solvent.
put one back together well packed with grease.
when I did the next, i put the cv together and it locked up solid !
very solid.
managed to free it - put the axel in a vice and a socket over the iner
part of the cv and hit it. had to do it a few times before it budged.

can you assemble a cv the wrong way ? did I do something wrong ? or is
this the bad cv ?

got it apart and next time I assembled it packed it with grease it was fine.

put it back in the bus and went for a drive.

wow !!!! I was amazed. before it was banging away like someone with a
hammer. now it was silent .

drove for a few miles and everything was good so I drove home.

I have a hair pin bend into my drive. when I went round it then noise
came back.

Its quieter than before but still clicks sometimes.

how do I tell wich joint to replace. none of the balls were worn. the
cv's showed wear but no scoring.

I would suspect the one that locked up when I assembled it. would you
agree ?

I will buy a CV tommorow and swap one. If it doesnt cure it I will swap
it again ! they seem tight enough. is there any hints to finding the
noisey one ?

Thanks all
Rich