Old March 11th 05, 10:36 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Dave C." > wrote in message
ink.net...

>> You likely got a better deal than you would otherwise have gotten, but
>> if the dealer agreed to the deal, you didn't turn the tables on anyone.
>> The sales "hawks" don't care that they let a vehicle be sold for a
>> minimal profit, they want you out of there so they can spend their time
>> on the next guy.

> Actually, you are wrong on that. It depends on the dealer, but most
> dealers
> will NOT sell a vehicle at a "fair" or "minimal" profit. They would
> rather
> have the vehicle sit on the lot an extra day or two until some sucker pays
> them thousands of dollars more than what the vehicle is actually worth. I
> know this for a fact, as I was told this by a regional (car) sales
> manager.

<snipped for length>

What a mess--6 dealers! They must have a low volume of sales, or are just
plain greedy. You did the right thing walking away.

I thought about how I might have handled it different, and came up with
these questions:

* Did you discuss price before deciding on the car with the hawk?

* Did you say you were buying with cash?

* Did you tell them that you really wanted that particular car?

* When they took an hour to go over the deal, where were you--in the room or
cooling your heels in a waiting room?

If you get the chance, Dave would you post an answer to these questions? I
have an idea or two as to what happened, but want to get more facts first.