Old August 19th 04, 08:49 PM
C.R. Krieger

Mike Smith > wrote in message >...
> C.R. Krieger wrote:
> >
> > The problem with both your analyses is that you're assuming the only
> > time this matters is with a blowout.

> No, but that's one of the time that it matters *most*.

Not really. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time explaining why
a suddenly deflated tire is pretty much a 'non-event', but it with
modern suspension systems, it really is. While it might *feel* pretty
weird, your chances of actually losing control as a result are almost
as slim as having it happen in the first place.

> > You can count the number of
> > times you've experienced a blowout on one hand (I hope!).

> Well, twice, like I said.

Out of how many *cars* you've driven? The strongest odds are that you
*won't* experience a blowout in a given car, so why would you
sacrifice safer handling *all the time* for a supposedly extreme event
that probably won't occur?

> > Having less (or worse) traction at the rear of the car is something
> > you have to deal with *every single time you reach the limits of
> > traction*! For the average driver, that occurs most often in reduced
> > traction conditions like rain, snow, or loose surfaces. It also
> > happens whether you're turning or going straight. It can even happen
> > under acceleration in a RWD or AWD car if the rear loses traction.
> > Acceleration is the *only* condition under which it matters where the
> > drive wheels are, and a FWD will have a natural directional advantage
> > here that's not negated by having better tires on the rear.

> This is all true. But then again, I don't make a habit of driving on
> bald tires!

I'm not talking about bald tires. Frankly, in dry conditions, you
*want* bald tires because they actually offer the most traction.
However the tradeoff, as any of the eight Speed GT Series drivers who
ended up off the last turn at Watkins Glen a few weeks ago will tell
you, is that slicks really suck in rain. Even full-treaded tires can
lose traction depending on the circumstances. Therefore, the smartest
thing is to have the 'best' ones on the rear all the time.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)