Old December 7th 04, 03:58 PM
Speedy Jim

Busman wrote:

> Have a 63 Bus (Caravelle Camper)in the garage. At one time it was my daily
> driver. I have what was supposedly a rebuilt 1600 DP (traded for it) that I
> can not get to stop leaking oil at the rear main seal. I've tried several
> seals with no luck. This whole ordeal has just about sapped my aircooled VW
> energy. I've never had a problem getting a rear seal in - drove nothing but
> air-cooled VWs for 20 years. Any ideas?
> Andy

As noted, definitely check the endplay. You can do it without removal;
just pry and push on the crank pulley and eyeball the movement.
The max allowed is .006" which is just barely visible. Much over that
and you have a problem.

BTW, the '63 was 6V. What was done to accomodate the 1600 engine?
Put a 6V flywheel on it? That's OK as long as it is sealed properly.

Let us know what the play is and go from there.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/