Old June 13th 05, 11:47 PM
Jim Yanik

Bert Hyman > wrote in
:

> (Sir Ray) wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> Didn't our favorite show, 'Mythbusters', recently do a segment on
>> this and similar type of 'radar fooling' techniques (including
>> shiny disks/spheres hanging from mirrors, aluminum foils, and
>> radar-absorbant paints?
>> Nothing seemed to work.

> Correction: Nothing ->legal seemed to work.
>
> It's technically quite straightforward to build active RF devices
> which will defeat traffic RADAR. They're [probably] also illegal to
> use. I qualify that statement with "probably" because I haven't
> actually tried to find Federal law that definitely covers this, but I
> can't imagine that the feds would leave this stone unturned.
>
> I don't know if anybody has researched devices for defeating LASER
> speed measuring devices.

Lidatek has(had?) a working laser jammer on the market.There was an
independent organization that tested them and found them to work.
I believe there are not any Federal laws on laser jamming,but many States
have laws on their books about them,usually something about interfering
with law enforcement.

The main problems with laser jamming are the narrow beamwidth and getting
enough optical power to the laser gun to overcome their signal.The laser
gun can have a narrow field-of-view to receive the reflected signal,but the
jammer has to send a wide beam to insure some of the signal gets to the
narrow view of the laser gun at whatever angle the speed gun is off the
axis of your vehicle.The wide beam necessary reduces your effective output
power to the speed gun.
Jamming would also be more apparent to the speed gun operator.

Then there are passive measures that can be used with laser speed
guns;reducing the reflected pulses from your vehicle by darkening surfaces
that would reflect them.Getting rid of any front plate would be the 1st
step,then somehow shielding your headlights and front turnsignals would be
#2. Then blackening any chrome or shiny surfaces.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik