Old March 11th 05, 10:45 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Cartlon Shew" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:18:14 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Cartlon Shew" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> If it were an extra cost today, would you get it?

>>It's a safety feature required by federal law, and its cost is included in
>>MSRP. So this question is moot.
>>

> No, it's not moot at all. It's a hypothetical question.

It's speculative, and you really don't want me speculating on the auto
industry, Carlton--trust me on this one

> Today's consumers are very different. I would willingly pay extra for
> most (but not all) safety features that have been mandated by law if
> it came down to a choice between having them or not having them.

Like it or not--we are already paying for them. We've nochoice in the
matter.

> In the '50s, I suspect the attitude of most consumers would be that it
> was expensive crap that they wouldn't do much for them in an accident
> anyway.

I've viewed congressional testimony and industry executives debate this, but
I've yet to see a market survey on this topic. That would make for some
interesting reading.