Old December 12th 04, 12:24 AM
James C. Reeves

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
| On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:
|
| > Why would you be starting at 0 when on the on-ramp?
|
| ...because it's one of the increasing numbers of freeway onramps that have
| a traffic light? Y'know, "ONE CAR PER LANE PER GREEN LIGHT CYCLE"? These
| controls are said to improve traffic flow, but most of the onramps they're
| on were not originally designed for any such an arrangement, so RAPID
| acceleration is frequently necessary.

I haven't yet seen any set up like that. The ones I've seen (mostly in
Virginia) so far have the traffic "queue-up" light placed well before the
acceleration lane so one can still hit the acceleration lane at a pretty good
clip without a lot of effort.

If the engineers have set up some as you describe, they had better go back to
traffic engineering school (in my opinion).