Old July 9th 05, 06:51 AM
James Goforth

Yes, the fluid debacle has no doubt hastened the demise of many a 604,
but it is important to note also that those transmissions have had
NUMEROUS upgrades since they came out, as have the controllers.
I think I remember the transmission shop telling me when they were
rebuilding my '88 that the 604 has had something like 23 upgrades
(internal), and the controllers have evolved something like four
times(?)
So it's entirely possible that the later ones are quite
dependable--it's just that if you DO get one that croaks, you just took
a large hit in the pocketbook. The transmission is my foremost
consideration when buying a used one. If it has been rebuilt already,
that's a huge selling point.