Old June 25th 05, 09:23 PM

Tim Rogers wrote:
>..............What are your thoughts on the practicality of a 88x74 type 1
> with machine-in cylinders and a counter-balanced crankshaft?
> I understand
> that the heads won't allow sustained power usage past a certain level
> without getting too hot but I'm a lead foot and it would be nice to be able
> to out-accelerate those pesky SUV's & minivans. I'd like to stay with the
> Jetronic FI and stock exhaust system and maybe a mild aftermarket cam grind
> like WebCam's 118. I've never read much about a set-up like this and need
> some guidance :-)

The 88x74 is a very practical engine. The 74mm crank is the largest
that can use stock-length connecting rods, making it less expensive --
and more reliable -- than the more popular sizes endorsed by
Conventional Wisdom.

But you're comparing apples to oranges when you link the 70 year old VW
design to a modern, water-cooled four-banger, some of which are not
much bigger than a shoe box but can crank out an honest 140hp... and
still give you a quarter-million miles of trouble-free service AND
30mpg. Tackle one of those with a bug and you've just been suckered
-- you're playing the other man's game. If you want to win you need to
skew the odds in your favor, such as playing in the dirt. Take any
modern vehicle off-pavement -- including most SUV's -- and all they'll
see of you is tail-lights.

Studying the differences between the early Porsche and the VW will help
you understand the VW's thermal limitations. It should also make it
clear those limitations are inherent in the design. If you need more
SUSTAINABLE horsepower you need more fin area and better exhaust
valves. Of course, more fins won't fit under your tin-ware and better
valves won't fit your heads. You can pull as much PEAK power out of
the thing as you're willing to pay for but only for a couple of runs.

The satisfaction of dusting a suburban housewife in her minivan -- who
probably doesn't even know she's just been blown-off -- will make you a
member of the Engine of the Month Club, which is what all those
after-market retailers are hoping for.

Time to start thinking for yourself. All those wunnerful folks trying
to sell you all that kewl stuff aren't doing you any favors.

-Bob Hoover