Old June 21st 05, 05:27 AM
pws

M. Cantera wrote:

> Not a gauge, but Davis Instrument manufactures a gizmo (Carchip E/X)
> that plugs into the car's ODB II port and records trip data and up to
> four engine parameters (if the vehicle is ODB II compliant, like a
> stock Miata is)
>
> You can download trip data for analysis on any PC. It is a trip and
> driver monitor, so use with caution unless you want to find out if
> your significant other is driving around with the rev limiter pegged.
>
> Only complaint I have about it is that I can't put back the dash cove
> unless you cut finger recess molding on it, that that hole is mostly
> invisible anyway.
>
> You can pick one up at Autozone or Sears, and of course, Ebay.

This is a heavily modified miata with a Tec-3 engine management system.
I haven't looked at all of the features it has yet, but it probably
monitors top speeds and that sort of thing, it seems to do everything
else from adjusting the turbo boost levels, the timing, the air/fuel
mixture, fuel flow per injector, etc, etc., all from a laptop showing
the engine working in real time using a dashboard gauge layout, it is
really very cool.
You can have the passenger make adjustments to the timing as you drive
to see the immediate effects, something that is obviously impossible
with the stock setup.
There is no more factory rev limiter, you use the computer to set it
anywhere from way below the miata's stock max rpm all the way up to
20,000 rpm, though I believe that I would have a smoking ruin of an
engine long before then. ;-) I have it set at 7500 rpm max right now.

No significant other to worry about right now, my miata's babe magnet
seems to be malfunctioning. I'll have it checked out next week. :-)

Pat