Old September 9th 04, 05:19 PM
Thomas Strandtoft

Zathras wrote:

> It's a real shame that Alfa feel unable to fix this as it's the same
> on my old 156. It removes a HUGE amount of the pleasure of driving
> them when you smash your sump and drop the oil, smash off the entire

Sounds pretty nasty.. Have you ever considered changing dampers
and springs? I know Alfa has nurtured the suspension setting in
order to make the car drive great, but if the car isn't designed
for the crappy roads in your neighborhood, it might make sense to
try other solutions.

My home town is the epicenter for bad asphalt, the streets are
littered with potholes, speed bumps, metal plates and that sort of
crap. I bought Bilstein shocks made for rallying, it actually came
with mounting instructions that said "If you reckon on jumping a
lot with the car, mount these nylon straps to catch the wheel in
order to save the shocks the strain". Coupled with a set of
swedish produced springs, the car was actually raised 8-10 mm. It
was a blast to drive, you could totally ignore anything smaller
than boulders, just keeping the loud pedal floored and flying over
obstacles..

Then ofcourse, it wasn't an alfa, just a "swedish brick", so you
might treat your car more tenderly.. :-)

--
Hygge..
Thomas

<http://www.carftp.com> - a library of car videos.