Old August 18th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

Default oil temp.

187 wrote:
> i am using a meat thermometer in the dipstick hole to check oil temp.
> the probe doesn't quite touch the oil when running though.
> am i getting an accurate reading like this, or could i be getting a higher
> reading due to the air in the case being hotter than the oil?
> thanks in advance for any replies

You are NOT getting an accurate reading.

is it one of those L-shaped stainless steel probes with a braided wire,
the bend at the wire end of the probe preventing you from shoving it in
deeper? That's the kind I use, I just bent it back straighter and it
reached the oil fine. Might work for you too. bend SLOW to avoid
breaking it. I bent mine slightly warm but still with bare hands.

Jan

--
Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells