Old June 20th 05, 07:54 AM
Tom in Missouri

You know that you can bolt on any '65 to '82 Corvette disc brake system with
only a few problems.

The easy way is to get spindles, calipers, and rotors from the front of one,
then get complete trailing arms, rotors, spindles, etc from the rear.

On a '63 and I think '64, you then have to cut the rear rubber snubber mount
off, as it sticks outboard and hits the caliper. You can get the one from a
'65 up and weld on if you want/need it.

The '65 up frame has a indent in the frame to clear the caliper, but I think
most clear even on the '63 and '64 without the indent.

Then run the standard Corvette dual master cylinder. You can get all of it
for less than the price of this conversion and if you add a power booster,
you will pull your teeth off the windshield.

Of course, if you watch eBay, you can find an entire chassis and just trade,
so you don't even have to change snubber mounts. You will have to cut out
the kickup braces on a late '68 up chassis, though, to fit under a Sting
Ray.

"StingRay" > wrote in message
news
> I'm considering doing a front disc brake conversion on my '63 and have

been
> looking at Stainless Steel Brake Corporation's "Front Force 10 2-Piston
> Aluminum Caliper Disc Brake Kit ". I was advised by a local speed shop

that
> the 2 piston kit is excellent for a C2 and that a 3 or 4 piston system

would
> be a waste of money. I presently have the stock system with the single

bowl
> master cylinder and one brake-line. Has anyone done this conversion and do
> you have any suggestions or recommendations? The kit has the dual bowl
> master cylinder and all the necessary hardware, including the

proportioning
> valve. Did anyone who did the conversion have any unpleasant surprises?

Any

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/...ette&year=1963